Wednesday 31 December 2008

The white hen died….

Happy New year for all of you..

After coming home from a Christmas break, it was raining like hell in Monchique. The chicken were all in the henhouse except my favorite white hen. She was sitting in the mud, all wet and dirty.

I went up to her but she could not move and then I discovered that her breast was all open and infected. Clearly she had been attacked by an animal, a little fox or something like that.

I sat with her for a while on my lap, talking to her and gathering courage to do what was inevitable. I had to kill the only chick that was not afraid of me. Isn’t live strange?

I kill chicken for dinner with no problem but once we are attached, have a relation, the whole quality of this act changes.
I even shed some tears…

Bye bye white chick, happy heaven for you.